Wednesday 13 April 2016

retro christmas decoration inspiration

I know, strange title but as a child I was fascinated by the concertina Christmas decorations my mum had from when she was a child, they were multicoloured bell and ball shaped concertinas and I thought part of the Christmas magic that they stored flat in a box and when the two card edges were brought together magically a shape appeared. 

Inspired by this I decided to try and find how they are made and was amazed how many tutorials there are on the internet, so after reading several I decided to have a go using some of my new memory box heart dies and this is what I came up with.

Dies make it so easy to cut multiple shapes perfectly equal in size and so quickly too. I cut equal quantities, 9 of each in 2 contrasting colours basically scraps that I had hence the lilac ones are slightly different patterns and after folding in half you stick together in 2 different places with dots of glue and then when joined together you stick with 2 dots of glue in 2 different places and that's what forms the honeycomb effect. Sorry its sounds a bit confusing but there are loads of videos and tutorials that show it really is easy.

After making 2 hearts I decided they would look great as a decoration to add a little spring colour, the fact that my son's cat is fascinated by it just adds to the fun, she sits and watches it spin when she taps the tassel,(also home made) and the gems catch the sunshine when it actually shines. I finished off with a wire hanger that happens to be purple glitter coloured so worked perfectly.

I would like to enter this decoration into the following challenges:-

Memory Box -anything but a card

The paper girls - mixed media

stampavie and more -springtime 

Little Miss Muffet -anything goes

creative craft cottage -add some sparkle

As you like it -favourite non card project
(I am really enjoying making 3D paper creations at present more to come in future posts)

Not just cards - anything goes

Dream Valley challenges -anything goes








6 comments:

Creaine said...

Nice work! Thanks for joining us at Creative Craft Cottage. Good luck.
Bye,
Groetjes van Ine (DT)

Brenda said...

What a fun project, sounds like it was very nostalgic for you. It turned out lovely, the colors are wonderful. Thanks for joining us at As You Like It Challenge!

Squirrel x said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, so clever and pretty. Thanks for sharing with us at As You Like It challenge. Hugs xx

Anonymous said...

Fun Project! I can see these hanging everywhere for a fun project! Thanks for joining the challenge at Little Miss Muffet Stamps!
Lyn

Mojca said...

Oh this looks just beautiful! thank you for joining us at As You Like It challenge. Hugs! Mojca

Helen said...

Great project and a very original design.

Thanks for joining us at Creative Craft Cottage.

Helen N x