Monday 31 August 2015

Flutterby

I saw a card made by Kathy at the daily marker a couple of weeks ago when she was doing a pop-up challenge using lines as the theme. She made a card with butterflies and added tiny eyelask lines around each of the images . I also saw a couple of other cards that blended contrasting colours into each other  and thought I might have a play and combine the inspiration they had given me. 


I don't normally buy craft magazines but whilst shopping with my hubby he started looking at magazines and board of waiting I did too and it cost him 2 magazines one as it had a butterfly stamp and the other as it had freebies too.


I used the butterfly and did some masking to form the image of my card or background whichever way you want to look at it.I guess the decoupaged butterflies could be the forground and the stamped butterflies the background. I stamped a couple more on a spare piece of card. I coloured the images with promarkers taking 3 oranges and 3 yellow shades one dark,one medium and a light shade in each.


I used the darker colour of orange first and worked from the outline of the butterflies and using flicking lines towards the center with each colour till reaching the body of each butterfly and then using the lightest yellow shade I filled in any white bits missed by the other colours. The bodies I coloured in black and using a fine ink pen I added small dots around each butterfly, I tried lines on one of the spares but they just didn't look right so I went with dots.


The spare butterflies I cut out and stuck to the card over 2 of the butterflies to add a 3D effect  decoupage style though not flat so they look like they are fluttering or sunbathing in early autumn sunshine that we are definitely not having today.


I added a mat of yellow to a white base card and attached the butterfly layer to the yellow mat, I added an orange ribbon and bow to the white space.


I think it makes the perfect card to cheer up a dreary day like todays weather at my house.

I would like to enter this card into the following challenges:-


really resonable ribbon -  autumnal colours

suzy bees - create your own background


the pencil case-anything goes


addicted to stamps and more - clean and simple

paperminutes - eye catching backgrounds

simply papercraft - anything goes







9 comments:

Karen Letchworth said...

Hi Julye! I absolutely LOVE your sweet Autumn card, and I thank you for sharing your talents with us by playing along in our challenge. I hope that you'll join us again soon. We LOVE to see your sweet ribbon-embellished projects. Have a great week, and don't forget to check out the Really Reasonable Ribbon shop. Our Ribbon Club (monthly ribbons) is such a fun treat for any crafter. You'll really LOVE our sweet ribbons and trims. We sure enjoy your art.
Blessings,
Karen
Really Reasonable Ribbon

Unknown said...

Wow! It's fantastic! Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Regards,
TTCRD DT
Enjoyscrappin2 {My Blog}
Through The Craft Room Door
ttcrd.blogspot.com

Shona Chambers said...

You've done the most fantastic job with these butterflies after being inspired by Kathy and her Pop Up challenge. I watched her videos too and fell in love with her tiny eyelash detail. You had a good purchase with your magazines, the butterfly is so pretty and your dot detail around the edges is perfect!! So very happy you shared this with us at ATSM this week and can imagine you will be doing this type of colouring more often!!

Bobby said...

This reminds me of a Monarch butterfly hatching, Julye. The arrangement of the butterflies, the coloring and the addition of some dimensional ones gives your card such a realistic look. I'm so glad you've brought this beauty to share at the ATSM challenge this week.

Heike said...

fantastic card, but...where´s the background??? ;)
Heike

Julye said...

I thought the background of my card was butterflies and the forground was the 3D butterflies but if thats not sufficient for your challenge Heike please remove my entry from your challenge as i wouldn't want to enter by not linking an appropriate entry.

Marja B. said...

Beautiful card, fab bow! Thanks for joining us at Stampavie and More!

Hugs, Marja
Stampavie and More DT

Unknown said...

WOW really love your butterfly card.

Thanks so much for playing along with us at RRR. Hope to see you again soon.

Jenn

Scrappy Scatty said...

Fantastic card
Thank you for joining in our first challenge at The Pencil Case
xx