Thursday 13 January 2011

Lets start a revolution!

I know there are many challenges out there gearing up for valentines day but sometimes you might care for someone but not as a Valentine, and lets face it there aren't many cards out there that just say happy Valentines day thanks for being a friend are there.

I was at a bit of a stand still itching to craft but not at the point of wanting to make valentines for the sake of it so I needed inspiration. My hubby bought me a book I asked for 'A card a day' and have to say it wasn't quite what I expected and was a bit disappointed. Yes it has 365 cards in it many very simple and non decrepit but I thought it would be like an occasion to send a card every day, hence my disappointment. Anyway I decided to add to this book as a few of the days did have things like Martin Luther King day or doctors day so I spent one afternoon googling each date of the year and I found a few more. Many were a bit odd and also just applied or were celebrated in the far east and again some just in the Us but those I thought I could work with I wrote on the appropriate days in my book.

I looked for inspiration and found 2 days coming up in january. The first I think is from the US , well as neither say international they both probably are but I think the world should adopt them both.

The first is on January 21st and is national hugging day, when you should give out hugs. I thought that this might get you into trouble if you just went around and started hugging each person you saw in the street so how about creating a card to give to those you care about or special friends so it's not a hands on hug but telling them that you care. My son has a couple of special friends at school and those that are female have boyfriends so hugging them probably wouldn't go down well and neither would giving his male friends a hug either so I decided to make some cards to give them. I have only done 2 so far but feel more on the way, in between the birthdays etc I still have to do, so why not join me and together we can make the world a happier friendly place as everyone feels better when they get a hug don't they?

This is the first hug and I used a bugaboo freebie image, just think its so cute. I mounted on white glitter card and black gloss card which I dry embossed with a grid pattern, coloured the image with promarkers and added a peel-off 'hugs'. I made it like a plate card so made a stand for it. I'd like to enter this wee hug into the following challenges:-
catch the bug- embossing
Scrap creations-love is in the air(hope hugs count)
Flourishes-red,pink and white and valentines(not strictly valentines but definitely affection)
There she goes-red, pink, grey and white
The Corrosive challenge-layout


My second hug  I used a woj image I was sent forever ago so long I can't remember who it was from. Again coloured with promarkers which I also used to colour the ribbon as I didn't have the right shade. The papers and cards were all from my scraps file so again yonks old and the flowers I got just before christmas but if I say last year does that make them old. The card candy I used in the flower centres , please excuse the still wet glue just noticed how bad it looks in the piccy. I would like to enter into these challenges:-
WOJ -layout using hug in a mug
If the shoe fits-ribbons and bows
Order of the Opus gleui-tropical well I would say my colour scheme definitely has a tropical taste
TPE-aqua,orange and pink
Oldie but goodie-bright and cheerful (I've had this image forever and never used it along with most of the papers and cards.
Fab and funky-warm colours hope tropical counts



Oh thought I better say in case some of you are wondering, the other date is 26th of January and it's Spouses day when you should tell your spouse how much you care.

11 comments:

Janet said...

cute card! thanks for joining the corrosive challenge:)
hugs

Jana said...

What a lovely thought to send a HUG card. I love it. Both of these cards are adorable, but I have to admit that I LOVE the tropical colored one. My mind is set toward warmer, sunnier days. SIGH. Thanks so much for playing with us at OPUS GLUEI.

Nikbee said...

Lovely cards. Such a good idea to send a hug card.]

Nikki x

Ginny said...

fab cards, thanks for joining us at FnF :)

Rosemary said...

Definitely tropical colors and that's exactly what we're looking for over at Opus Gluei! Love the card, I think sending a hug is a great theme for a card and I'm so glad you participated with us this time.

heidy said...

There gorgeous!!!
Thanks for joining fab'n'funky this week.
Heidy

Tracy said...

Thanks for joining our challenge Oldie But A Goodie with this great entry, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Susan Says (Stupid Stuff) said...

Beautiful cards! They remonded me of the Free Hugs Campaign, which I love (http://www.freehugscampaign.org/), and I also have another link you might be interested in, Family Crafts provides lists (by month) of special days. Not all of them will appeal to everyone, but it's nice to have the option of celebrating something you might otherwise overlook :)
http://familycrafts.about.com/library/spdays/bljandayslong.htm

Thanks so much for playing along with our sketch at Corrosive Challenges, hope to see you next week too, and good luck! :D

Peggy said...

Great cards!! Thanks for playing with us at Going Grey with Scrap-Creations.

Kristen said...

Cute card. Thanks for joining us at Going Grey with Scrap-Creations.

Kruemel said...

Oh, it´s really cute! Love the bright colors you used and you did a great job on our sketch.

Thanks for joining us at WoJ this week.

Hugs,
Kathrin aka Kruemel